Not home for the holidays this year? No worries—you can still make them special for your family, says a recent blog on Scoop San Diego. “From decorating your hotel room to welcoming Santa, there are ways you can still enjoy those holiday traditions that are near and dear to you” by taking them on the road with you, it advises.
Here are some of Scoop San Diego’s tips for making this time of year special, no matter where you are:
• Alert your accommodations ahead of time that you are celebrating something special; they may be able to help with your plans, or create something just for you.
• Just because you’re not at home, doesn’t mean Santa won’t deliver! Bring your presents with you and open them on your trip.
• Ask the front desk to deliver milk and cookies (for Santa) and salt (for his reindeer) on Christmas Eve.
• If possible, book a suite with a fireplace so you can hang your stockings with care.
• Let someone else cook the holiday meal this year! Many hotels and lodges serve the seasonal favorites, such as roast turkey, lamb, goose, roast or sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts and pumpkin pie.
“Families don’t need to fear losing out on making special memories or feeling far from home while vacationing during the holidays,” said Phillip Cunningham, General Manager for Great Wolf Lodge New England, one of 11 indoor waterpark resorts nationwide that make it a point to honor guests’ holiday traditions and encourage new ones.
So celebrate the season with your family, wherever you are. After all, home is where the heart is.